- What: At this talk, authors Jennifer Bloom and Lillian Luterman offer practical advice to students, their parents and educators assisting students in the choices available to them as they prepare to transition from high school to college. They will also discuss the Top 10 Myths around college admissions and answer any questions parents/students have about the process.
- When: Monday October 17, 2011 @ 5:00 PM
- Cost: FREE
- Where: Barnes & Noble, 82nd & Broadway
2289 Broadway, New York, NY 10024, 212-362-8835
Description of their book: In! College Admissions and Beyond: The Experts’ Proven Strategy for Success
Lillian Luterman and Jennifer Bloom have been helping high school students get into choice schools for more than twenty years. For each student, their method is based on a simple concept: “be alike but spike.” Ironically, it’s often the “well-rounded student,” an ideal many applicants strive for, who gets rejected. This book shows students how to create a distinction by identifying a passion and “layering” it-showcasing their interest in many different ways. While guiding students through every step in the application process, this book is enlivened with instructive case studies, charts and checklists, sidebars for parents, and New Yorker cartoons.
And unlike most books about “getting in,” In!’s lessons do not end at college acceptance. This book gets students in, and gives them the tools and confidence they will need for future success.
- “Be Alike”-How to optimize your GPA, standardized tests, extracurricular activities, and more.
- “Spike”-How to develop a unique area of distinction that makes you stand out from your peers.
- How to create a winning college application-including personal essays, activity chart, letters of recommendation, and more.
- How to choose the right college for YOU, and prepare to attend, and afford, your top-choice school.
Bio of the authors: A mother/daughter team, Lillian Luterman and Jennifer Bloom work privately on boarding, college, and graduate school admissions with students from all over the world.
- Lillian Luterman has been involved in education throughout her entire career. She began her educational consulting practice twenty years ago and has watched it expand globally. Her current clients include children of Fortune 500 CEOs and government leaders. A graduate of McGill University with a master’s degree from Emerson College, Lillian specializes in working with clients with learning problems as well as with gifted children. She lives with her husband in Westport, Connecticut.
- A graduate of Harvard College, Cambridge University (U.K.), and Harvard Business School, Jennifer Bloom began working with her mother in 2006. Prior to that, she spent more than ten years in marketing and advertising. She has worked for companies such as American Express, Ogilvy & Mather, and J. Walter Thompson, creating and launching new services as well as award-winning advertising campaigns.