It’s time to Collaborate, Innovate and Educate for the benefit of NYC’s high potential youth. The NYC Gifted & Talented Symposium, a one-day symposium, is the first of its kind- a collaborative effort, reaching across university and school boundaries, past politicians and beyond bureaucracy. It’s about parents and educators, principals, university department heads, ed tech experts, mental health professionals and specialists working together in the best interest of New York City youth.
The event is organized by The Parents of Accelerated Learners, NYC [PALNYC] in partnership with the Coalition of Gifted Schools, Hunter College Center for Gifted Studies and Education, Speyer Institute, The Center for
Mathematical Talent at Courant Institute at New York University with support from numerous organizations including SENG, NAGC, AGATE, NJAGC and others.
Join us October 26, 2013 at NYU’s Kimmel Center in the heart of Greenwich Village:
- Support the cognitive, social and emotional needs of high ability kids, 2E and diverse learners with advice from our featured presenters. Choose from any session within four strands that include: Talent Development, Social & Emotional Support, Negotiating the Practical & Supporting 2E & Diverse Learners and become stronger advocates for your child or student’s needs.
- Collaborate and network with like-minded parents, principals, teachers, education consultants and specialists from some of NYC’s top programs for high potential children.
- A Curated Exhibit Hall to discover local and online programs specifically focused on the talent and ability areas of your child, whether their passion is art, reading, math, animals, architecture, music, chess, dance, sports, coding, game design, entrepreneurship, theater or zoology.
- Education Technology (ED Tech) Discovery Platform with a hands-on opportunity to explore web and app-based learning tools to better support at home and differentiate in school.
- Thought Leaders Roundtable THINK TANK includes NYC’s thought leaders in educating high potential youth and sharing best practices. Join the conversation to understand how we may work together to provide the best foundation and continued support for all of NYC’s high potential youth.
Dates: Saturday, October 26, 2013
Time & Location: 8 am- 5 pm, NYU’s Kimmel Center at 60 Washington Square South, NY, NY 10012
Interested in Sponsorships or Exhibiting at the event? See the NYC G&T Symposium Prospectus for more details and be sure to Save the Date.
If you know a NYC child in kindergarten through 8th grade who is passionate about music, art, entrepreneurship, animals, coding, stop motion video, chess, sports, or any other serious interest or talent area, then help them discover their passion with up to $15,000 in scholarship monies being awarded by School Choice Solutions and PALNYC’s Discover Your Passion Competition.. The deadline is extended to September 20, 2013- http://www.schoolchoiceintl.com/discoveryourpassion/
Event Registration is available here for $99. An early registration fee, $79, is available to registrants before September 15.
For more details, see the NYC G&T Symposium Site and download the Mobile App (COMING SOON).
About the Author: Shamur A. Khen, Ph.D., is the Founder & Publisher of the NYC Firm Schools Blog.
Full disclosure: Dr. Khen is a co-founder of PALNYC and one of the co-conveners of the NYC Gifted and Talented Symposium on October 26, 2013 at NYU’s Kimmel Center.