Basis Independent Brooklyn is a unique school with a unique approach to challenging students to be their best.
BASIS was founded in 1998 by veteran academicians who wanted to increase the standards in American education, and they’ve done just that.
The pillars of education at Basis Independent Brooklyn are:
- An accelerated, rigorous curriculum
- Student accountability
- Passionate and knowledgeable teachers
What Is Basis Independent?
Basis Independent Brooklyn is a part of an educational network made up of 16 charter schools and two independent schools. The first in the network opened in Tucson, Arizona. Since its advent, the BASIS system has received several achievements worth noting.
- Consistently ranked in the U.S. News & World Report best high school nationally
- Listed among America’s best high schools by The Daily Beast
- Noted as one of America’s most challenging high schools by The Washington Post four years in a row
- On Newsweek’s best high schools in America list every year since 2006
Basis Independent Brooklyn is a K-12 school with a strong STEM-based curriculum.
Basis Independent Brooklyn’s Curriculum
The STEM-focused curriculum produces strong critical thinking skills and turns students into problem solvers. Graduates move on to become scientists, artists, writers, mathematicians, linguists, computer scientists, and engineers.
Students also have access to extracurricular activities such as clubs and athletics opportunities.
Values taught to all students at Basis Independent Brooklyn include:
- Respect for other students and staff
- Individual responsibility
- Community responsibility
- Safe environment
- Educational environment with no disruptions