Ecole International de New York is a private school located in Manhattan with a lower school and a middle school. It’s a French bilingual immersion program for students ages 3 through 13. It offers an interesting blend of American independence in the classroom and the French National Education program.
Ecole International de New York Lower School Curriculum
The student body at Ecole International de New York is diverse, and faculty embrace that diversity. French-speaking and non-French-speaking students from the community are welcome. Many students, however, speak a third language at home while learning French and English at school.
A rare international school, Ecole International de New York provides a rich academic environment that fosters a love and respect for language. Students are educated in three cycles.
- Cycle 1 is the Early Learning Cycle, which consists of nursery school and pre-kindergarten. There are two nursery school rooms with a maximum of 12 students each. There is one pre-kindergarten class with 18 students maximum and one mixed pre-k/kindergarten class with no more than 18 students.
- Cycle 2 is the Basic Learning Cycle. This level consists of kindergarten and first and second grades. Each class consists of a maximum of 20 students.
- Cycle 3 is the Cycle of In-Depth Learning. This cycle consists of grades three through five. The classrooms are limited to 18 students.
How Lessons Are Delivered Bilingually
Teachers deliver instruction in French 60%-65% of the time. The remaining time is delivered in English. Mandarin is also taught beginning in third grade if the make-up of the student body, based on cultural backgrounds, permits.
The learning objective of Ecole International de New York is to ground students in the basic academic subjects of a traditional education in both French and English.
The following academic enrichment programs are also available at Ecole International de New York Lower School:
- Resource specialists
- ESL (English as a Second Language) and FSL (French as a Second Language)
- Art classes
- Class artistic projects
- Information technology
- Physical education
- Drama & Music
- Outdoor Education Program
Visit the school’s website for more information on Ecole International de New York Lower School.